At the intersection of stroganoff and picadillo, we use saffron rice and top this flavorful dish with AtlantaFresh Plain Greek Yogurt, drained to a cream cheese consistency. This gluten free recipe combines Eastern European savory and traditional Spanish spice, and also makes a great taco filling!
- 2 cups AtlantaFresh plain yogurt, drained overnight in coffee filters to a “cream cheese” consistency
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced medium, 1/2 cup chopped scallion greens
- 24 green pimiento stuffed olives
- 2 cups reduced AtlantaFresh plain yogurt, any fat variety.
- 1 cup uncooked Valencia rice
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz Cremini or “Baby Bella” mushrooms, sliced
- kosher salt, pepper
- Drain 3 cups of AtlantaFresh Plain Greek Yogurt the night before by putting it in a coffee filter lined colander in a covered pot in the refrigerator. Draining 3 cups will reduce to a little over 2 cups.
- In a rice cooker or pot, cook Valencia rice with 1 tbs Olive oil, 1/4 tsp kosher salt and a pinch of saffron threads.
- Meanwhile, In a skillet…
- Brown the turkey and onion until meat is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Stir often to avoid burning.
- Season with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and pepper.
- In last 3 minutes of cooking, stir in 2 minced garlic cloves. Continue stirring.
- Remove from skillet.
- Brown 8 oz. sliced Cremini mushrooms in 3 tbs Olive oil until golden (about 12 minutes). Stir every few minutes.
- Add turkey mixture and olives back to skillet. Mix all. Turn off heat.
- Stir in yogurt.
Serve immediately over saffron rice. Garnish with chopped scallion greens.